Lighting the Way in Pennsylvania.
Pediatric Palliative Care Coalition (PPCC), a PA-based statewide coalition, is a volunteer group of professionals, parents, and community members who provide information and resources for families with children with life-limiting conditions.
Thanks to all of you for the very important and hard work that you are doing in the midst of this healthcare crisis. We hope that you are healthy and well supported as you confront the challenges in this unprecedented time. We will do our best to send out helpful resources as they become available in hopes of making this time a bit easier. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help support your family or institution.
Betsy Hawley, PPCC Executive Director
- September 2, 9, 16, 2020– 3-Part Webinar Series – FREE
PPC Virtual Town Hall: Creating Virtual Options for Family Support in the Time of COVID: Tips and Tools for Innovative Programming
Session 1 – Wed, September 2: Hosting Virtual Hospital/Hospice Memorialization Events –
Resources – Hosting Virtual Hospital Events
Session 2 – Wed, September 9: Setting Up and Managing Virtual Support Groups
Session 3 – Wed, September 16: Helping Families Explore Virtual Memorialization Options
- September 22, 2020 – Explaining Pain: Pain Education and Mind-Body Tools for Pediatric Chronic Pain with Rachel Zoffness, PhD. Dr. Zoffness will cover basic pain neuroscience education, how to “explain pain” to youth and parents, and how to incoroporate user-friendly metaphors when treating pediatric pain. This talk also offers an introduction to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for pediatric chronic pain and illness, outlining how to explain and implement a biopsychosocial approach to treatment, techniques used in CBT, and patient psychoeducation.
The new PPCC Caregiver app gives caregivers a suite of indispensable tools to manage, store and share information. Our app streamlines a Caregiver’s experience by providing the tools and features that they need most.
- NEW Resource: The New York Times – Dying in Your Mother’s Arms, Sep 2020
- NEW Resource: Pediatric E-Journal, Care Throughout the Dying Process, Aug 2020, Issue #60
- NEW Resource from CPN: Peeking at the Unimaginable – Considering a Child’s End Of Life
- Resource: Pediatric E-Journal, Ethical Issues, May 2020, Issue #59
- Resource: Grieving Alone & Together During the Covid-19 Pandemic
- Resource: Downloadable Emergency Plan from Courageous Parents Network
- Resource: Collaboration and Partnership is Key to Advocacy in PA
A future where all children diagnosed with life-limiting conditions in Pennsylvania will have access to world-class palliative, hospice and end-of-life care. Our goal is to provide a clearer path for children and their families coping with difficult, life-altering experiences.
“Pediatric Palliative care is specialized medical care for children with serious illnesses. It focuses on providing relief from the symptoms, pain, and stress of a serious illness—whatever the diagnosis. The goal is to improve quality of life for both the child and the family.
Pediatric palliative care is provided by a team of doctors, nurses and other specialists who work together with a child’s other doctors as an extra layer of support. It is appropriate at any age and at any stage of an illness and can be provided along with treatment meant to cure.” – Center to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC)